Shops And Establishments License
According to the Shops and Establishments Act, the term Establishment means a shop or a commercial establishment. These establishments include commercial spaces, residential hotels, restaurants, theatres or other places of public amusement or entertainment. In addition to this, the state government also declares establishments for the purpose of this Act. Such establishments are also covered under this Act. Furthermore, the concerned state government declares such establishments through notification in the Official Gazette. Shop means any premises where: goods are sold, by retail, wholesale, or services are rendered to customers. This could include an office a storeroom, go down, warehouse or workplace, whether in the same premises or otherwise, used in connection with such trade/ business. A shop however does not include a factory or a commercial establishment.
The shops and commercial establishments covered under the Act must mandatorily apply for registration under the respective state Act. All establishments and business, including the people working and maintaining a business from home, must obtain a Shop and Establishment Registration Certificate or Shop License (“Certificate”) under the Act.
Eligibility to Obtain a Shop and Establishment License in India
- Wholesalers or the retailer’s shops and establishments
- Service Centres
- Warehouses, Storerooms, and go-downs
- Additionally, any other working places
- Eateries and restaurants
- Entertainment houses, Amusement parks, Theatres, etc. Bottom of Form.
In India the shops and establishment license are covered by The Shops and Establishments Act, 1953 the Act basically includes amendments and laws relating to:
- the regulation of working hours,
- payment of wages,
- leave or holiday
- the terms of services and
- any other conditions of work for people working in various establishments.
These rules apply to people employed in:
- commercial establishments
- establishments for public entertainment or amusement and
- other establishments.
The documents required for obtaining the shop and establishment registration certificate is-
- Shop or Business Establishment address proof.
- ID proof of the proprietor.
- PAN Card of the proprietor.
- Details of the employees.
- Payment challan.
- Additional business licenses necessary for starting the business, if any.