A liquor license is required for manufacturing, import, export, transport, possession, purchase and selling of liquor and other alcoholic beverages in India and granted by the state excise department.
In India Applying for liquor license depends on the prevailing liquor laws of each state the or nature of liquor and the kind of business. Following are some of general types of liquor licenses available in India-
Types of Licenses
It is a License granted for the wholesale supply of Indian liquor to other license holders.
L3 is a liquor license granted to hotels that permit the serving of foreign liquors to residents staying in hotel rooms, whereas, L5 license is granted to serve liquor in bars or restaurants which are situated in the hotel premises.
L6 is issued to the retail vendors of Beers and Indian Liquors.
L19 is permitted to a club registered to serve foreign liquor.
L49 is easily granted to any person for serving liquor in any party or function at specific premises anywhere in a state.
Apart from above mentioned there are other licenses like the L-11, L-12, L-15, L-16, L-17, L-18, L-19, L-20, L-21, L-28, L-29, L-30 licenses, which the state excise department grants for various other reasons.
Every state has prescribed its set of required documents for obtaining a liquor license. Following are the list of documents needed in general for obtaining a liquor license –
- Applicant’s identity proof
- Applicant’s address proof
- Address proof of the premise used
- No Objection Certificate from the Fire Department
- No Objection Certificate from the Municipal Corporation
- An application with the business details
- List of the Directors in the case of a company
- Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association, in case the applicant is a company.
- Copy of the latest Income Tax Return
- Photograph of an authorized person
- An affidavit declaring that the authorized person doesn’t have any past criminal record under the state act
- An affidavit declaring that the authorized person is not a defaulter in paying any dues to any department.